Merriott Local History Group
Digital Archive 2014 –
02. Village Archive
02_01 VILLAGE ARCHIVE
02_02 An Ancient English Village
A comprehensive history of Merriott, written and first published in 1961. Richmond Munn
02_03 The Mert Man
The Merriott man of long ago. Excerpt from Somerset Life and Character 1924. W G Willis Watson
02_04 Echoes From The Land Of Utch
The unique Merriott dialect of yesterday: Dr John Smith, former lecturer in German at Bath University. Specially interested in local dialect
02_05 Nut Tree Farm
Nut Tree Farm and the Brake family
02_06 Pumps Taps Wells And Springs
The remnants of the domestic water supply that existed prior to the installation of water mains
02_07 Early Street Lighting
The village had street lighting, long before there was a gas or electricity mains supply
02_08 Old Signposts
Old cast iron sign posts, some of which have probably been in position around the village since the early days of motoring
02_09 Tail Mill Down All The Years
An overview of the history of Tail Mill
02_10 Boundary Stones
A record of large stones dotted around the parish, believed to have once been boundary stones
02_11 Scott's Nurseries
A few notes, plus photos of the derelict site
02_12 Merriott Turnpike
An overview of the probable development and decline of the turnpike at Merriottsford
02_13 Hitchen In The Early 1900s
Hitchen before the estate was built
02_14 Gospel Hall, A Brief History
A history of the sole survivor of four village chapels
02_15 Bowling Club Early History
A summary of the early days of the bowling club
02_16 The Wandering Dumb Boy Saga
In the spring of 2012, ‘somebody’ saw fit to authorise the removal of an ancient dumb boy!
02_17 Early Social Housing
The first village social houses, or council houses, were built in 1925. The Local Authority at that time was Chard Rural District Council.
02_18 The Village Lockup
Grade II listed. Believed to be late 18th Century.
02_19 St Catherine's Lodge - Laurel Bakery
St Catherine’s Lodge, Lower Street. Formerly the last village bakery. Grade II listed, built in the 19th century but in a 17th century style.
02_20 Anglican Sunday School
The ‘Little School’, built in 1834, originally a Sunday School, later a National Day School and still in use today (2014).
02_21 Churchyard Chest Tombs
The chest tombs in the churchyard, commemorating the lives of members of the late 17th and early 18th centuries.